Monday, July 30, 2012

"...These are a few of my favorite things..."


Here are the things I’m so excited about lately. They’re basically are my new excitement and hobbies, some movies, books, TV series, or those good looking actors that I’m crazy about right now, and some of my new plans that I’ve been looking forward to. 

The Land of Stories : The Wishing Spell (a brand new children novel by Chris Colfer)

 Chris Colfer's The Land of Stories : The Wishing Spell
Yes, I’ve been craving for this children novel so much I can’t even wait for them to finally available in all bookstores in Indonesia. I was afraid that this book isn’t going to be found here anytime soon, so I asked my friend who is in Canada right now, to order it for me. (Thanks a lot Felicia Wintery, you are a big help :*) I know maybe you think, “What’s so special about this book, I mean, it’s a CHILDREN novel after all!” True! I’ve been questioning myself too about it. To be honest, my first reason is not about the story or the genre. It is the author, whom I know and love so much. Chris Colfer is first known as one of the Glee casts actors, who plays the role of Kurt Hummel. Some of you may recognize him, some of you maybe not, but the point is, I idolize him, not because he’s such a big star on Glee (not to mention a Golden Globe winner and one of TIMES Magazine’s 100 most influential person as well) but simply because of his hard work and compassion. If we take a look at his past life for a while, (well if you are far away from being interested with his marvelous life survival story, you can skip to the next number. Oh wait, it’s also about him. Sorry, move on! :D ), he is not the kind of kid who had a happy and normal childhood life. His sister suffered from Epilepsy and his family has had a hard time dealing with it. He came out as an openly gay man when he was a teenager, and one thing I may add here, I have absolutely no problem with it. I won’t bother about his sexuality issue whatsoever because there are still SO MANY interesting aspects of him needed to be seen. Actually because of that issue, he’s been bullied so hard, every day, every time, everywhere, by everyone in High School. He couldn’t live his life the way a normal kid always wanted and he always implied his High School life as a living hell. That’s the kind of story I’ve always heard about Chris’ past and this is not the only time I wished I can go back to the past and be friend this leftover little Chris, but his story is not over yet. Every downside has its own way towards the upside. Thank God he didn’t end up killing himself or bullying others as a self-revenge. He has his own way to make himself forgot about his awful surroundings and gave the best out of him, by keeping himself occupied and productive. He played in a theatre; he was a chairman of a debate club; he has mind-mapped his own novel since 10 y.o; he acts and sings on the best American comedy musical tv series, Glee; he wrote and starred his own movie in 2011; he finally fulfill his dream, writing a children novel; he brought so many awards home; and yet he still has so many upcoming projects waiting to be knocked off as well. By the way, he's done all of that by the age of 22 years old. 

Colfer's Struck By Lightning movie poster
His life motto is not to stop until you told yourself to stop. So it’s like, you’re the only one who hold the power of yourself and not letting other “jealous” people get in your way. Do as much as you want while still can. No matter how awful others treated you, don’t be afraid of humans. Keep yourself busy, just keep doing something you like. Those words are probably like my self-booster every time I let myself down. I want to be like him, so dedicated and so strong, but never let himself drunk from wealth and popularity. He’s my reason why I wanted to try my luck in writing field at the first place. Simply put, he is one of my biggest inspirations.

Chris Colfer and Glee Season 4
 
Glee is back in September 2012! Some of you may have known Glee, one the best american comedy TV series with a lot of singing kids and unexpected amount of drama instead of comedy regarding its actual genre. Well, never mind. Still lovin’ it as long as it’s acceptable and enjoyable enough for my melancholic heart and mind. I love drama, especially comedy drama where I can let myself cry all my happy squealing feelings out. Glee has become my favorite TV series since 2011 with Kurt Hummel (Chris Colfer) as my character of interest. Basically, he’s the obvious reason why I watch Glee. Some people misunderstood him as a flamboyant or girly-like character who sounds like a teenage girl. Well, I completely disagree. First, he sounds just fine and unique. He’s a countertenor by the way, the one who has a very wide vocal range. It’s like he can goes from Bass to Soprano with no exception. I really envy this guy. I can’t even beat his soprano! Second, he’s a cute plus good-looking guy in one complete package. If you comment on his outfit on Glee, well it’s because his character dedicated himself for fashion. With Kurt’s high school graduation in season 3, I’m expecting a big adventure of him in Season 4 college life. Since I’m in college right now, I think I will relate to the story just great.

Gossip Girl and The “Chair” Couple
Gossip Girl Poster
While waiting for Glee’s comeback this September, I decided to try a new TV series and add it to my favorite list. I have no idea I would fall so hard for this series. It’s really addictive and clearly, it doesn’t let me sleep until 4AM in the morning. I’ve been catching up from the very first season, and yet I still have four more seasons to watch before the sixth season comes out this September. If you happen to watch and follow Gossip Girl, you must have known the term “Chair” couple. “Chair” refers to Chuck and Blair, one of the most fan-favorite TV couples. Before I started watching GG, I sometimes heard this term and wondered what kind of couple they are and what makes them so loved by the fans. Well, now I know. They’re extremely cute and sweet, I can’t even handle my fangirling squeal everytime I see them acted out their flirty and sweet lines. Ed Westwick (Chuck) and Leighton Meester (Blair) have such a great chemistry when it comes to their couple scene. Well, if you can't picture the things I just said, I recommend you to start digging things on the internet, or maybe you can start watching it and let yourself addicted by their heartwarming acts.
Gossip Girl's Chuck and Blair

Ed Westwick and Leighton Meester
Ed and Leighton (this is my favorite picture of them both)
What else should I say? I just want them as a real couple in real life too. Just like Andrew Garfield-Emma Stone, Ian Somerhalder-Nina Dobrev, or Robert Pat—oh wait, I don’t like that couple. Seriously, they will bring the cuteness out of each other. Just be together already, is that too much to ask? *wink ;) (Just an honest demand from a fangirl).

 
Running Man (Korean Best Reality Show)
A worth-watch reality show ever
I personally feel that this show is definitely one of the best TV/ reality show in the world with millions of fans and viewers. It gives the best entertainment possible which makes you unable to stop. At first, I’m not a big Korean show fan, but my friend told me about this show which is really addictive. Now, I’ve proved it. I love how this show is not like the others. The concept of this show is a bit similar with The Amazing Race , but the difference is that Running Man have the same casts or players every week. Sometimes they invited guest starts to play along too, but they never change their main casts or members. Well, that’s the interesting part of it because these casts are golds and so easily lovable! Each of their characters and silliness is what keeps this show different and interesting every single week.
Meet the main Running Man Casts

Photography (again)

Remember when I first attracted with photography and decided to take it to the next level? I postponed my hobby because I didn’t have a suitable camera to fulfill my hobby. I always thought that I would never learn photography completely if I didn’t own a DSLR, because that’s what photography is about. I know it’s not the right thing to say. Photography isn’t about what camera you used or how cool your camera is, but it’s more about how you take a picture that can speak for itself, no matter how or what you took that shot with. Now I try to continue my hobby from the very basic aspect, learning about composition. Even though, owning a real DSLR will make things easier, doesn’t mean I should wait and do nothing while it’s still on my own wish-list, shouldn't I? :)
  • I found this interesting Youtube channel where I’m learning some photography basics right now. http://www.youtube.com/user/PhotographersOnUTube/videos?view=0 You can watch and learn some new tricks. Well at least, better start now than never. Subscribe too if you want. They’re videos are prettyhelpful and most importantly, free of charge!

Writer
I’ve been thinking for a couple days: “Isn’t it cool to see your own written books, being displayed on the bookshelves of every single bookstores you visited?” I don’t know how to say this but, I might want to make that happen, someday, not today, because it’s not going to be as simple as it seems. First, I still don’t know what kind of writing I’m willing to make. Second, I’m not sure whether I can  promise  myself that I won’t back out in the middle of it. It needs a huge commitment and with lots of changing situations that usually happened around me, sometimes I can be very shaky and get bored easily. But I decide to give myself time, reconsidering my plan while starting to write everything I want (like this blog post for example). I’ve mentioned earlier that Chris Colfer is the one who inspired me to write. He said that the best tips for a young writer to start his writing is to JUST WRITE. Keep writing and don’t do too much thinking. Write about your life, hobby, school, family, everything you want. That way, you’ll find yourself used to writing, and that’s what I’m doing right now.

Mandarin or German? Both
I love languages. By learning them makes me feel like traveling across countries without even trying. At this moment, there are two languages I’ve been willing to master someday. Mandarin (Chinese) is basically a must. It is said to be the second most-used international language in the world besides English. I’m not learning it because I like it, but because I think I have to, and I need to. On the other hand, I want to learn German just because, I want to. I’ve been dreaming so bad that one day I’ll get a chance to finally land my feet in Germany. Yes, I have this strange obsession with the black-red-yellow country since FIFA World Cup 2006 when Germany hosted that event. Well, sometimes obsession comes from an unusual package.

Family Trip to Hongkong (first time)
Beautiful Hongkong's night scenery
Another family trip is about to happen soon and I can’t be more excited right now, though I’m a little bit worried about the language there as soon as I figured out that they don’t speak Mandarin or English well. But as long as me and my family can keep each other’s company, language is no biggy. I mean, that’s the challenge you can’t refuse to find, and that’s also the thing I’ve been waiting to experience.

@sinjoelf

2 comments:

  1. nice blog :) can you add more great photography? i love it! Also, nice background~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, anon ;) i'll surely try my best ...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Bird Gadget