Sunday, November 11, 2012

Hong Kong - Day 1 : Let’s Get Lost

Every time I go on a trip abroad to a new country, I always spend at least one day to get lost just trying to remember and adapt at the new place. It always happen no matter how hard I try to learn the map and follow my D-I-Y itinerary, I always get lost. So, be thankful that you’re not like me :P . But fortunately, I didn’t go by myself this time. In fact, I brought a full team. My Dad, who keeps our needs safe in place (money, passport, maps, and HK tourism brochures); Mom, who’s really good at picking stores with nice stuffs with affordable price; my Brother, who’s basically the leader of our trip. He’s like a “Map-Interpreter” who can easily understand how to get to a certain place, just by glancing at some MTR maps, road information, and traffic signs. As for me, well I’m just the girl who’s trying to bring home as many memories as I can through words and pictures. Yes, yes, I’m the photographer and documentary of this event. Cheers!





Our Garuda Indonesia flight took about 4 hours and 15 minutes. We arrived at Hong Kong Airport from Soekarno-Hatta Airport, Jakarta around 4 or 5 PM (Hong Kong time). Hong Kong is one hour ahead from Jakarta, so maybe you have to adjust your watch when you arrive. After filling our immigration duty and collecting our luggage, we headed straight to the airport lobby and met a man from Starline travel, who would take us to our guesthouse in Causeway bay. Before that, we just had to find a direction board with “Airport Express” and an MTR sign written on it, because that’s where you’ll buy your Octopus Card. This card is like the most crucial part while traveling here in HK. It’s basically an MTR card, but you can also use it to pay for other public transportations here, such us bus, tram, ferry, Ngong Ping cable car, but not taxi. One last thing, don’t forget to take your free maps at the Tourist Information Centre before you went out to the lobby. Take everything you need, brochures, pamphlets, guidebook; those stuffs were full of interesting, insightful trip directories which will keep you right on track. And, did I mention they’re free?

Getting ready!

We rode a not-so-comfortable car from the airport to Causeway Bay. It was raining a little and the day was so cloudy, but it didn’t stop me from enjoying my first sightseeing through Hong Kong city. We saw Ngong Ping Cable Cars which I was hoping to ride on someday (more of this later) as we drove passed Tsing Ma Bridge, which is the longest suspension bridge that links Lantau Island to the rest of Hong Kong. The 2.16 km bridge was opened to traffic in 1997 as part of key infrastructure serving the new airport on Lantau Island, and has since become a local sightseeing favorite.

It was quite a long trip from the Airport to Causeway bay since we have to cross the sea from island to island. It was so cool that they got their own underground (or undersea) tunnel which connects these two islands. I also heard that we can actually take the MTR to go from island to island instead of using a ferry boat, like ... what?!

Once we arrived at Paterson Street, Kingston Building, Causeway Bay; a young man greeted us with an Indonesian phrase. Turns out, the building we were going to stay at for 3 consecutive nights is owned by an Indonesian. His name is Chris and his father is actually from Medan, Indonesia. However, Chris was born and raised in Hong Kong. Finally, someone who can speak something at least I can understand. He even has a maid who is a local Indonesian. She led us to our new room and told us about how she can work here at the first place. We called her ‘Mbak’. Well Chris is nice, and Mbak is just friendly, like all Indonesians are. This place wasn’t so bad after all.

Talking about bad, that is the word I’m not gonna use to describe my first place of stay. I like staying here because of the people and its cozy surroundings. Our neighbors are all Indonesians so we particularly chatted with them about places we had just visited and some other stuff without worrying so much on language. Mbak and Chris, and so was his father, gave us so many insightful information about HK and nice tourism places we should visit. They helped me renewed my amateur itinerary with their suggestions and experiences. But the thing that disturbed me a little bit was the size of the room. There were four of us, adults, living in a very small (yes, I’d say very because I think it was) bedroom with an indoor extra small bathroom. We didn’t have any problem with the room’s higyne because it was pretty clean and smelled nice, but four adults, two huge luggage, four beds and inside bathroom were pretty much a trouble for us. Well, we didn’t blame the place of course, but maybe our first choice of staying was not quite right, even though I couldn’t ask for a better companion and tourist service from the owner J Like I said, it’s not bad. Even it was full-booked already by the time we got there, mostly by Indonesian tourists, I guess. Its strategic location also became one of the most important aspects for tourists.

Kingston Building is surrounded by hundreds of branded shops, huge luxurious malls, and thousands or even millions of pedestrian walking by every day. We wanted to enjoy the rest of our first day witnessing the night crowds of Causeway bay area. We were just walking a couple blocks and had found at least ten branded stores and two huge malls. “Will this sightseeing night turn into a late-shopping night?”, I questioned. People said that Hong Kong is one of the world’s greatest shopping-heaven, both for ladies and the gentlemen. Well, I also came here to prove that theory. Hopefully, they’re right.

Side-street night snack

We ate our late dinner at Hysan Place’s food court, because it’s too late to hunt for any typical Chinese-sidestreet restaurant. This shopping mall looked enormous and tall. It has 12 floors and long escalators. The food court was in the 11th floor and we took a long/time-consuming escalator. During my “journey” to the top floor, I witnessed so many different types of people and couples here. I don’t know, my eyes couldn’t stand still without peeking at somebody else’s “business”. They were basically so in love and didn’t even care about what people might think of them, while showing their PDA, even in front of a stranger who was busy making out with his Ramen. Oh, I also found two extremely handsome guys who turned out to be lovers, enjoying their PDA with hands full of Louis Vuiton paper bag (I kinda envy them to be honest, I mean the Louis Vuiton part).

The food court crowd was unbearable. It was full of people, so we decided to part. My mom and dad queued for our food while me and my brother looked for 4 seats. Again, I love paying attention on people’s business, and that day I learned that most people here didn’t mind sharing tables even face-to-face with strangers. I found one table with 3 talkative girls talking about something god-knows-what, while an old man joined their seats without saying anything and start eating by himself. The girls didn’t mind him at all and kept talking. It’s not awkward at all for them, but... for me,.. yeah? Maybe it’s just because of how we usually see things in our hometown. In Jakarta we don’t find that much. Well, that’s one of Hong Kong fun facts I just added to the list.


(to be continued)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Bird Gadget