Sunday, November 11, 2012

Hong Kong - Day 3 : A Self-Endurance Drill

Today’s Highlight :

·         Ngong Ping Cable Car
·         Ngong Ping Village
·         Giant Buddha
·         Citygate Outlets


We’re going to focus our today’s trip at Lantau Island. When I looked at the map, the Giant Buddha and Disneyland resort were just one station difference, but we’re going to save Disneyland for the last. Our room neighbor chatted with us in the morning, telling about his trip to Ngong Ping and Giant Buddha the day before. Well, he said that the Giant Buddha was magnificent and cool, the cable car ride was unforgettable too, but the BIG problem was: the queue. It felt like hell and he couldn’t expect the second visit without thinking about the horrible and extremely-long line. It gave us doubt for a while but my dad kept insisting to go. We thought that the queue wouldn’t be that bad if it’s all worth the wait. Besides, we were trying to experience as many places as we can while being here, so there we went.

We took the MTR from Causeway bay station (blue line) to Central station (inter-change). We hoped on our next train which headed to Tung Chung station (orange line). According to my travel research, there is a big, most well-known mall in Lantau Island near Tung Chung MTR station and Ngong Ping cabe car station called Citygate Outlets. It’s basically a factory outlet contains many stores with cheap price and big discount. Most department stores in Causeway bay contain high-quality branded goodies which were absolutely unaffordable enough for me, so I was so intrigued to see what’s in this so-called-cheap mall, Citygate. Anyway, we saved it for later.

Queue in Hell

We hurried to the Ngong Ping cable car station and saw a quite extreme line in front of the gate. It was scary and plus, the sunlight was being such a killer that afternoon. After an hour of waiting, we finally went upstairs and we didn’t find any cable car there yet, but another waiting line instead. We waited for 15 minutes to the locket and process our tickets. Still, no sight of a cable car, but another waiting line instead. My legs were shaky as I couldn’t stand any longer. This was actually the worst waiting line I’ve ever been in my entire life so far. My mom and I sat for a while at the available bench outside the line while my dad and my bro stood in the line full time. I could feel my hamstring falling all over the place. After 30 minutes of the final queue, we FINALLY rode our cable car. We didn’t afford the crystal cabin type to save the money, but if you want to try a more thrilling cable car experience, that’s definitely a must-try!

It was a little bit scary at first, but the views are magical! The forest, the hill, the bright blue sky as clear as the sea. I forgot my exhaustion for a while and began to take as many pictures as I could. I couldn’t just stand still and let these cool opportunities passed by. I’ve been using my 95 minutes of waiting time and 25% of my daily stamina for this experience, so I might as well use it wisely. Twenty minutes later, we were so close to the final station. The Giant Buddha statue could be seen clear enough already. Well, as from here, it’s not that “Giant”, because we still had several more miles to walk and 269 stair steps to climb to reach him. 

Ngong Ping Cable Car


First we arrived at Ngong Ping Village. You can see many gift shops and cafetaria with ancient-China type-of exterior. There was a short martial arts show on a small red stage in the middle of the village. All the performers were teenagers around 10-20 I guess. They were really good and didn’t mind to expose themselves in the middle of this UV-invasion afternoon. Yes, the sun was really rude that day. We got to explore the village for another 30 minutes before we reached the stair that led us to Giant Buddha mighty statue. Oh no, I didn’t think my mom and dad were happy enough when I asked if we could come to the top of the stairs. Those waiting line had killed us in so many levels. Thus, we just climbed several stair steps to take our memorable photo shoots and admired the statue from far far away. Our trip in Ngong Ping Village didn’t last long enough because we’re afraid that if we stayed longer, means we would have to wait for longer and more exhausting line to ride the cable car back home. And, yes it happened. I couldn’t even feel my legs when I saw another waiting line outside the station. A long queue outside and another longer, circular queue inside had just doubled my worst queue experience ever! That was literally the most intense self-endurance drill I’ve ever been, and mentally too, because if I wasn’t patient enough, I must had lost my mind in the middle of the crowd.

Giant Buddha

The painful line has officially end. We rode our cable car in silent, trying to gather up our strength that is left because we still had one mission to go : Citygate Outlets. Usually I never had a problem walking around in a big department store for a long time, but now with my 30% strength left, I wasn't sure. But the mission has to be done. We had our late lunch / pre-dinner and separated each other. My mom and I went searching for some nice women apparel and shoes we could possibly afford. Yes, the prices were okay, but for me, most of the clothes there were not as good as those in Causeway bay. Most of them were last season’s clothes and if you think of it again, the price wasn’t that cheap after all. Sure, my mom bought some stuffs, so did my dad and bro. Me? I just bought a hot Salonpas for my back and thigh. So if you decided to shop for some new clothes or shoes, Citygate Outlets is one alternative outlet you can pay a visit, but simply not the only best one in town.


(to be continued)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Bird Gadget